When someone asks you what you do for a living, do you ever think, ‘What don’t I do?!’
If your one job title does not encompass the array of responsibilities you hold, I feel your pain. I have worked in business development and marketing for small businesses for most of my career. The challenge, I’ve found, is segmenting my time to step out of one role and into another.
Maybe the term ‘identity crisis’ is a bit harsh, but it’s the best way I can describe the multitasking Kung Fu most marketers execute every day. If you are a marketing professional for a small to mid-sized business, do you act as any of the following job titles?
Market Research Specialist
Client Relations Manager
Social Media Manager
Public Relations Manager
If so, you can probably relate to my Marketing Professional Identity Crisis.
Sidenote: Have you seen this list? Remind me to add “Jedi” to my long-term goals. 10 Surprising Marketing Job Titles for the Next 10 Years
On a daily basis, I’d say my job responsibilities cross into about 90% of the above list. To serve in all of these roles in one given day, I rely heavily on our Microsoft Dynamics CRM solution.
How Dynamics CRM Solves My Marketing Professional Identity Crisis:
- Dynamics CRM stores and tracks our sales and marketing campaign plans, which allows me to efficiently keep the sales team updated on our latest promo offer campaign.
- Dynamics CRM has awesome dashboards that show me in real-time, without any effort on my part, where we are with our lead generation results and how these are converting into sales opportunities.
- For our events, I can segment my target markets and refine the message so our clients and prospects are receiving the information they need.
- When we have a new outbound marketing initiative, I can research past correspondence from clients in the target industry to track what their pain points were. This helps me write relevant marketing messages to speak to the audience’s needs.
Do you work with Dynamics CRM? Or, are you considering Dynamics CRM after finding yourself in this same predicament trying to fulfill multiple job roles? Contact with me on LinkedIn or drop me an email at email@example.com. It would be great to connect and share information.
Wish me luck as we complete our Dynamics CRM 2015 upgrade later this month. And if your identity crisis is getting the best of you, try this tactic to gain focus. Your colleagues will love it!
– Jennifer Espelien, Turnkey Technologies, Inc.